Andrew 'Boy' Charlton Pool
This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to the Andrew 'Boy' Charlton Pool and former baths on the western side of Woolloomooloo Bay.
A popular bathing area was known as the Fig Tree and the first bathing enclosure there dates from about 1825.
Between 1858 and 1860 the Council constructed a free public baths, called the Corporation Male Baths but generally known as the Fig Tree Baths.
In 1903 the Corporation Baths were pulled down and a new complex was built. It consisted of a Ladies Bath and Free Baths.
A new swimming pool called the Domain Baths opened on 17 October 1908. In 1955 the Ladies and Free Baths were demolished. The Domain Baths were replaced by the Andrew (Boy) Charlton Pool in 1968.
To find even more items relating to the Andrew 'Boy' Charlton Pool and former baths in Woolloomooloo Bay try the search tool.
Dictionary of SydneyCollectionBaths and Swimming PoolsWoolloomooloo
Memorandum - Improvements required to prevent small fish and jellyfish in Baths, Woolloomooloo, 1880