National Art School (NAS), Darlinghurst
Francis Greenway was commissioned to design a gaol building in the early 1820s. The walls of were built by convicts between 1822 and 1824 but building delays followed. It was not until 1835 funds were provided to complete the building. Work recommenced in 1836 with designs from Mortimer Lewis altered by George Barney.
Even Barney’s plans were altered to accommodate more prisoners. Even from the start the building was overcrowded. Outside the gaol walls there was a giant cesspit.
In the later nineteenth century, the prison had issues with overcrowding, drainage, security and disease. A male penitentiary was not opened at Long Bay near Malabar until 1914.
The old Gaol was used as an internment camp during World War 1. In 1921 it became the East Sydney Technical College. In 1924, all 'art' courses within the technical education system in the state were transferred to the East Sydney Technical College.
In 1922 the National Art school moved to the old gaol buildings and offered diplomas in painting, sculpture, ceramics, design and commercial art. In 1996, the National Art School became the sole occupant of the buildings.