Fish Market, Woolloomooloo
This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to the Fish Markets, Woolloomooloo.
The Fish Markets at Bourke and Plunkett Streets Woolloomooloo were opened in 1871.
In 1891, of a second, privately owned fish market, known as the 'Southern Fish Market' opened in Redfern Street, Redfern. The Woolloomooloo market became known as the 'Eastern Market'.
The Eastern Markets were extended and altered in 1888 and 1893 and came to cover the entire block bounded by Bourke, Plunkett, Forbes and Wilson Streets.
The building was sold in 1911 and operations moved away from Woolloomooloo. It was demolished and replaced by the Astor Apartments in the 1960s.
To find even more items relating to the Fish Markets, Woolloomooloo try the search tool.
Letter - Suggestion about the exhibition of photographs of Fish Markets Woolloomooloo at World's Columbian Exposition, 1891