This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to Market Street.
Market Street was named by Governor Macquarie in 1810 when he decided to establish a market on the site that is now the Queen Victoria Building. The street connected the markets with the market wharf at Darling Harbour.
In the 1830s, Market Street was densely populated and lined with workers' cottages, shops and warehouses. Market Street still contains a number of important shops including Myer (formerly Grace Brothers), David Jones, one side of the Queen Victoria Building and significant buildings including the State Theatre, Centrepoint and the Corn Exchange building.
To find even more items relating to Market Street try the Search tool.