This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to York Street.
Previously named Barracks Row because of its proximity to a military barracks parade ground, York Street was renamed in 1810 by Governor Macquarie after Prince Frederick, Duke of York, and Albany.
Over the centuries, York Street has been molded to fit the ever-changing landscape of the city. This includes its extension past Wynyard Station in 1848 and the inclusion of York Street North, now more commonly known as Cumberland Street in The Rocks.
York Street has been home to several historical establishments. This includes the art deco Grace Hotel, Hong Kong House, and the AWA Tower, built during World War II. Additionally, the southern end of York Street has been a center of economic development because of its proximity to several markets.
To find even more items relating to York Street, try the Search Tool.CollectionSignificant streets
Letter – WS Friend & Co complaint of road blockages caused by fruit carts on York Street Sydney, 1886