Grace Brothers / Myer
This collection contains selected items about the Sydney business, Grace Brothers (Grace Bros) and its successor, Myer.
Joseph Neal Grace (1859-1931) and Albert Edward Grace (circa 1863-1938) established the first Grace Brothers (Grace Bros) store, specialising in drapery, at 203 George Street West (Broadway) in 1885. They gradually expanded their holdings at Broadway, and soon had departments for other goods such as clothing, boots, carpet and crockery.
In 1897 they constructed a four-story building at the rear of the site for the furniture and ironmongery departments. In 1904 Grace Brothers established a five-storey flagship building on the western corner of George Street West (later Broadway) and Bay streets.
Grace Brothers continued to expand. The architects Morrow & De Putron (later Morrow & Gordon) were responsible for most of the building works on Grace Brothers Broadway and other suburban stores. This included the Grace Building on the corner of York and King Streets Sydney.
In the 1930s with the Depression and the trade losses from the diversion of tram routes from opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, the company began to expand to the suburbs. By 1981 they had a large number of branches. In 1980 Grace Brothers leased Mark Foy's on the corner of Elizabeth and Liverpool Streets Sydney.
In early 1983 Grace Brothers attempted to expand by purchasing the Melbourne based Myer Ltd. However, four months later Myer took over Grace Brothers. The name was retained until 2004 when all stores were rebadged as Myer.
To find even more items relating to Grace Brothers try the search tool.
Print - Blackwattle Resumption, George Street West, Bay Street, William Henry Street, and Blackwattle Lane Ultimo, circa 1906
Building Survey Card - Furniture storage, Grace Brothers, 47-61 Pyrmont Bridge Road Camperdown, 1944