This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to Kent Street, Sydney.
Kent Street begins at Walsh Bay on the northern end and ends around Darling Harbour. It was named in 1810 by Governor Macquarie after the Duke of Kent, the younger brother of King George III.
There were many homes of wealthy citizens at the northern end due to the harbour views.
Much of the Millers Point foreshore was quarried. This was on the eastern side of Kent Street between Argyle Street and Agar Steps and extended into Argyle Street. The quarry was a major source of sandstone for Macquarie’s building program.
Further south, Kent Street was dominated by maritime activities. Many of the workers cottages were replaced by warehouses near the wharves of Darling Harbour.
To find even more items relating to Kent Street try the search tool.