Warning. Cloning this item will not retain its parent-child relationship.
Camperdown Memorial Rest Park Trust Records
Council's involvement in the plan to convert Camperdown Cemetery into a park started in 1946, when it passed the following resolution: ‘That in view of the proximity of Camperdown Cemetery to the City boundaries, and with the object of removing a menace to the citizens of the locality, this Council offers its co-operation to the Council of the Municipality of Newtown by representations to the appropriate Authorities or otherwise in strongly pressing for the resumption of the area and its conversion into a Park’. (Proceedings of Council 1 July 1946).
The Camperdown Memorial Rest Park Trust was established under the Camperdown Cemetery Act 1948. On 21 March 1949 Council passed a resolution urging the Minister for Lands to appoint it as the Trustee in lieu of the Trustees appointed under the Act. The Act was amended and in 1950 Council became the Trustee, with the Town Clerk as Secretary. In 1970, with the enactment of the Camperdown Cemetery (Amendment) Act, responsibility for the Park was transferred to Marrickville Municipal Council.
The records created by the Trust include minutes of meetings, correspondence files, list of graves, copies of legislation and by-laws, specifications and plans of development works, photographs and programmes, reports, and drainage plans.
Relationship summaryRELATED TO: Membership of external committees AY-0090 (10/10/1950 to 13/3/1969)
RELATED TO: Management of parks and reserves AY-0084 (10/10/1950 to 13/3/1969)
Plan - Area C9 designed for reception of historical and other graves and monuments, Camperdown Cemetery, 1954
Plan - MSW&DB Water Supply, Camperdown Memorial Rest Park, Petersham Reservoir to Newtown, 1959-1960
Plan – St Stephens Cemetery plan with notes, to accompany a report by the Director of Parks, no date