This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to Macquarie Street.
Macquarie Street is in the Sydney’s central business district. It was named after Lachlan Macquarie, Governor of NSW, 1810-1821.
Macquarie Street extends from Hyde Park in the South to the Sydney Opera House in the North.
This street includes major government buildings, built in various timeframes, including Parliament House, The Mint, Hyde Park Barracks, the State Library of New South Wales, the Colonial Secretary’s Building, Government House Stables (now the Conservatorium of Music) and Sydney Hospital. St James Church is opposite Hyde Park Barracks. The Garden Palace was also built on Macquarie Street for the International Exhibition in 1879 before being destroyed by fire in 1882.
To find even more items relating to Macquarie Street in the City of Sydney area try the search tool.CollectionSignificant streets