George Street Markets
This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to the George Street Markets (Central Markets).
Land was dedicated for the purposes of markets in 1810 and temporary produce markets were established by 1813. The design for more permanent buildings were done by Francis Greenway in 1820. In the early 1830s part of the market was demolished and the domed Market House was converted into Central Police Station. The markets were moved to the rear of the building.
The market buildings were demolished in the late 1880s and early 1890s to make way for construction of the Queen Victoria Building.
A traditional 'flea market' with clothing, souvenirs, fresh produce etc called 'Paddy's Markets' was held near the markets before moving near the Belmore Markets and then to Thomas Street Haymarket and Market City (see Municipal Markets).
To find even more items relating to the George Street Markets try the search tool.
Memorandum - Report on shortage of accommodation for wholesale dealers and suggestion to move market to Haymarket, 1861