Belmore Markets, Haymarket
This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to the Belmore Markets.
There are have been markets in Haymarket since the 1830s. See the Hay, corn and cattle markets.
The Belmore Markets were a produce market established on Campbell Street east of the present site of the Capitol Theatre. They were named after Sir Somerset Lowry-Corry, the Earl of Belmore, the Governor of New South Wales from 1868 to 1872.
The markets were rebuilt between 1892 and 1893. Although officially named after the mayor, Sir William Manning, they were generally referred to as the New Belmore Markets, while the older markets were referred to as the Old Belmore Markets.
A traditional 'flea market' with clothing, souvenirs, fresh produce etc called 'Paddy's Market' moved from the George Street Markets near to the Belmore Markets and then to Thomas Street Haymarket and Market City (see Municipal Markets).
The ornate Corporation Building was designed in 1892 by City Architect George McRae for Sydney Municipal Council as a supplementary service building to the new Belmore Markets. Constructed in 1893–94, the building provided offices, refreshment rooms and toilets for the Market Clerk and produce agents.
A new Municipal Markets complex was constructed on the other side of George Street. In 1913, the Belmore Markets were dismantled and adaptively re-used. Part of the site became shop and office space known as the Manning Building; the western part of the site was converted to become an entertainment venue. It then commenced its long life as various venues – hippodrome, picture palace, theatre. Elements of the original market building can still be seen in the façade of the Capitol Theatre today.
To find even more items relating to the Belmore Markets try the search tool.