This collection contains a small selection of archives relating to Macquarie Place (was also known as Macquarie Reserve) and Macquarie Place Park.
Macquarie Place Park is on the corner of Bridge and Loftus streets, Sydney. This triangle was surrounded by the residences of the Governor and civil officers and the store buildings.
The first bank in Australia, the Bank of New South Wales, was opened at Macquarie Place in 1817.
The park features the earliest surviving public monument of Australia`s colonisation, an obelisk erected by Governor Lachlan Macquarie in 1818 to mark the centre point for measuring road distances in New South Wales. The following year, a sandstone Doric fountain was installed, later replaced by a statue of Thomas Sutcliffe Mort in 1883. Sandstone dwarf walls and iron railings were built around the site, but removed between 1905 and 1910 with part of the wall still remaining. In 1907, a large anchor and cannon from the 1790 wreck of HMS Sirius was erected in the park and a men’s lavatory was built underground in the following year. In the 1970s, a canopy drinking fountain was relocated from Scotland to Macquarie Place.
To find even more items relating to Macquarie Place try the Search tool.CollectionBridge Street